Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer
The Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer has worked its way into the hearts of many users everywhere on the market for an affordable elliptical trainer on the market today. With 7 programs and 8 resistance levels, Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer offers the best value for an entry level elliptical trainer on the market in the $300-$500 price range. This machine comes with a stride of 17 inches, just an inch shy of the much higher priced Schwinn 431 Elliptical trainer. What most users find appealing with this machine other than the cost factor is the stability of this machine, thanks to the oversized stabilizer, which gives you a solid workout platform.
One design flaw though that most users have pointed out is the LCD panel, which is very small. However it does provide vital fitness metrics such as speed, time, distance, calories, heart rate, and RPM, course profile as well as the resistance level. The Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer is the ideal elliptical trainer if you are light user and are looking for a solid yet budget elliptical trainer under $500 that will not fall apart on you.
Nautilus, the manufacturers of the A40 have attempted and succeeded in delivering value and comfort with their Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer. They have managed to transfer their expertise of using revolutionary designs in flywheel and drive systems across their range of elliptical trainers and have not fallen short with their budget models. Combining flywheel design and computer controlled drive systems co-creates a comfortable stride by eliminating bumps in the motion and create smooth strides. On this elliptical trainer, i found three specific comfort features worth mentioning in this review as follows:
1. Linkage Design – Linkages in simplest terms are the various moving parts that give you the elliptical motion on a trainer. On the Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer, Nautilus has used a biomechanical design, meaning you will get a more natural and comfortable foot motion during your exercise. Simply put they have studied motion in living organisms (bio) and have translated it into a machine (mechanical) hence the term bio-mechanical.
2. Handle Design– The Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer handles have been designed to maximize your training experience by reducing fatigue and discomfort. You can therefore adopt multiple multiple workout positions, meaning you wont get bored from working out in a certain position. Varying your style based on what works at that point of your workout is a important consideration for most users. The only downside though is there is one set of handles unlike on other elliptical trainers such as the Horizon Fitness EX-59 or the Schwinn 431. Also there are no heart rate monitors meaning you have to let go of the handles to read you heart rate.
3. Sturdy Base – The A40 has integrated leveling feet and these enhanced stability while also protecting your floor. This means you get a solid workout platform. An additional feature i like on this Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer is its compact footprint which make it fit virtually everywhere so it does not come across as invading your space.
Finding an elliptical trainer in the $300-$500 price range, which delivers a quiet training experience is often a hard feat to achieve. However thanks to the ingenious combination of an electromagnetic system for handling resistance and a perimeter flywheel which gives you a smooth performance you can enjoy a quieter experience with the Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer. The great thing with the Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer is that in trying to minimize the noise levels, the designers have also delivered a machine with better resistance management as well as performance. On a scale of 1 to 10 on noise, i’give this a 6, as it does emit some noise. Other users have found that using noise-cancelling headphones during their training almost eliminates any noise that may be emitted by this machine, so this is something worth considering. However for the price level and other features that you get , noise levels aren’t really a deal breaker for this elliptical trainer.
What I love about the Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer is that its features are designed to make your training experience a lovable experience. Just like the otherNautilus designs, these features include preset workout programs, an LCD back-lit console, grips with heart rate monitors, and a good 17″ stride which is only an inch shy of the more expensive gym equivalent Schwinn 431.
1. Workout programs: The Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer comes with 6 preset workout programs and one manual/quickstart. You also get 8 resistance levels which offers you a smooth upper and lower-body cardiovascular workout. The resistance levels is enhanced by forward perimeter weighted flywheel with uses electromagnetic resistance system. The Quick Start/Manual program lets you start aworkout without entering any information. The Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer comes with 2 course, 2 pursuit and 2 circuit preset programs, which automate different resistances and workout levels. Pausing, starting or ending the workouts is very easy on this trainer. You can simply push the START / STOP button to pause your workout and use the same buttons to continue the workout. To end the workout, you simply hold the START / STOP button for 3 seconds. Your current workout value totals and averages will be displayed on th e LCD console when you complete, pause or cancel a workout. The console will automatically enter sleep mode after5minutes of no activity.
2. LCD Console: The LCD console on the A40 Elliptical trainer is simple and easy to use. It shows time, rpm, distance, pulse, speed, calories, resistance level, and course profile. Other than displaying important information about your workout, the console also lets you control the resistance levels while you exercise. Navigating your way through the various workout programs is made easier via a grid display with touch control buttons. However the LCD console does not have any back lighting making it difficult to read out the information. This can easily be rectified by placing the unit in good light.
3. Workout Stride: High end elliptical trainers usually have a usually 18 to 20 inches stride lenght, so at 17inches, the Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer is just an inch shy of the this top end. This means you get a near gym or high end trainer experience for an affordable price. A stride short of 18/20 inches is more ideal to less fit persons or older people so this may be an good elliptical if you meet these two factors. However even fitter and younger trainers can still have enjoy a good training experience at 17 inches. The Schwinn A40 also lets you do a forward or backward workout stride and even allows you to change the direction during a workout.
4. Heart Rate Monitor: Monitoring your heart rate while you train cannot be overlooked. The Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer uses contact heart rate sensors found on sides of the LCD console. Although there are conveniently located within easy reach, some users may find their location annoying as you have to physically move your hands from the handle bars in order to access it. Despite this little inconvenience contact heart rate sensors are very sensitive and will give you a reading within seconds of placing your palms against them.
5. Convenience: There is no greater convenience than having to relocate your elliptical trainer to a location of your choice once its fully assembled. The Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer comes handy with inbuilt transport wheels located on the oversized stabilizers. Being a lightweight elliptical trainer, you can easily yank it up from behind and push its forwards in a wheelbarrow motion to another location of your choosing. Users with smaller living spaces find this feature very handy as it allows them to maximize their living space by conveniently tucking the elliptical trainer after a training session.
Other than the transport wheels, the Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer also comes with a fan, a water bottle holder as well as a reading rack. However the fan is not so great so this in not something to really look forward to. The water bottle is handy and if you love reading while you train, then you will find the reading rack a worthwhile extra on this elliptical trainer.
There are 13 clearly laid out steps for assembling your new Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer. The easy to follow assembly manual lays out all the parts and hardware you need to assemble the unit. Also included is an Allen key so you can tighten all the bolts with ease. All the hardware (screws, bolts, washers, etc.) come on a cardboard sheet with each item lettered (A-B-C, etc.) and a drawn image of the item underneath. If you can follow instructions, then you will have the unit assemble in as little as 2hours and can immediately start playing around with the controls and workout programs. However you will need to have some 4 D-cell batteries handy as these are not provided with the unit.
Although the assembly is a one person job, if you have a friend or your partner, asking them to help with assembling the foot pedals will make it a lot easier. The inbuilt wheels on the Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer means you can assembly this unit while watching your favorite program on telly or in any other room/space which is convenient to you, then wheel it to wherever you want it located for your workouts. If you want to see the assembly manual before you buy, you can get one from here.
Your new Schwinn A40 Elliptical trainer ships in at 106 lbs and once assembled, weights in at 90.4 lbs. You will find everything in the packaging that comes with the machine.
Once assembled your new elliptical will measure 59″ x 22.5″ x 64″ (LxWxH). The maximum weight that the machine can hold is 275lbs, just 25lbs short of the higher priced Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer.
The maximum height of the footplate is 16″ (41 cm). In order to calculate the minimum ceiling height, you will need to add this to your height making a provision for several inches for comfortable clearance.
“I rate this product as 5-star because for the price range it is in, it really is a great machine……(read more here: Schwinn A40 Elliptical Trainer Review)”
“This is one great machine. It is very smooth,very stable and extremely well built…(read more here: Schwinn A40 Elliptical Trainer Review)”
I really wanted an elliptical but had previously been put off by the cost. This one about $200 less than most of the other “entry level” machines I was looking at….(read more here: Schwinn A40 Elliptical Trainer Review)”
Amazon Rating: 3.5
You can get the warranty here if you are interested in reading the full text before you buy. The table below however summarises the main aspects of the warranty.
(Standard Warranty Only)
- Operates Smoothly
- Easy to use workout programs
- Designed with the user in mind for things like comfort, convenience etc
- Sturdy Base and easy to relocate in your apartment
- Doesn’t take much space
- Display is hard to see/make out.
- Weak fan
- AC adaptor not included but can be purchased separately.