Although the Schwinn Elliptical Trainers initially debuted in 2006, it is still a popular choice for a compact elliptical trainer for those looking for a gym quality machine at an affordable price. The Schwinn 431 digital computer allows you to accurately track time, distance, speed, calories, and strides per minute. Consumers like the flexibility to input their own data giving them power measure a variety of workout results and track progress while they train. You can easily see your progress from one training session to the other. The Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer uses a steel flywheel and computer controlled drive system that provide high inertia for smooth strides minimizing noise levels so you could literally hear the TV at a normal level while you exercise.
User reviews however, show that not everyone feels the same about how well this unit performs. Nonetheless the vast majority of Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer Reviews still show that its one of the best in its price range. Therefore whether or not it is the ideal choice for you depends on how much you’d appreciate a sturdy elliptical trainer vs the little extras such as fans, mp3 player,bottle holder etc on a machine that wouldn’t quite deliver the same convenience and results as the Schwinn 431.
The Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer uses revolutionary design in elliptical trainers which combines the flywheel design and computer controlled drive systems. This combination co-creates a comfortable stride as it eliminate bumps in the motion and create smooth strides. The is nothing i hate when exercising than having a feeling of traveling on a bumpy ride and have my feet sliding all over the place. With the Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer you will have a gym like experience while you go through your exercise regime.
In addition to this revolutionary system, the Schwinn 431 elliptical trainer also was designed based on an analysis of living organisms and how they move about thereby delivering a comfortable movement of the foot throughout the elliptical motion. The other cool feature which comes with the Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer is the user designed computer system which gives you the power to input customized data, measure a variety of workout results, and track progress. There is nothing more important that to see you progress on a day to day basis and the Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer, definitely is a winner when it comes to this feature.
The Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer also allows you to control the resistance level at anytime during your exercise. To do this, you simply use the UP and DOWN arrow buttons on the machine. Most reviewers have found this feature very useful to their training program. Two other comfort features that every elliptical user needs to keep in mind are Grip as well as Pedal design and Schwinn outdid themselves on these aspects.
Pedals: I have already mentioned the bio-mechanical design, which mimics animal movement but in addition to that, the Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer were engineered to be oversized. Yes you read that right they are oversized and this is meant to give your feet that extra space as you stride out. Additionally you get the added benefit of the extra padding, which is meant not only to absorb the impact from the intensity of your workout but also get rid stress on your joints/knees and hips.
Grip: There are two hand positions on the Schwinn 431- the stationery and moving hand-bars. This gives you the choice to effortlessly and comfortably switch between the grip positions. Both have pulse monitors so you still can track your vitals as you go along. The placement of these grips also means you will always be in an upright position despite the handlebar you choose. This reduces stress on your back as you maintain an upright posture while you train. The Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer really delivers comfort and enjoyment while working out meaning longer and effective workouts
Every trainer hates a noisy machine and most manufacturers are now trying their best to design quieter machines. The Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer is not yet there when it come to quiet machines, but beats most home gym models on the market at the moment. Based on reviews, and my own user testing experience (trying this out in an equipment warehouse), I’d give it a 4 out of 5 rating, or FAIR rating as far as noise levels are concerned. It is important to stress at this time that i am yet to find an elliptical trainer that scores 5 out of 5 from my own testing and extensive research that i do when i blog . If you look at Amazon reviews, one area that most home gym trainers fall on is the noise levels.
So how does the Schwinn 431 elliptical trainer achieve a 4 out of 5 rating? The combined use of a Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer uses a steel flywheel and a computer controlled drive system essentially delivers the near quietness experience. As its inevitable that your elliptical trainer will squeak in one way or the other, what most users find useful is to use recommended lithium grease and this will take care of most noise. I however still think at 4 out of 5 the Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer is pretty much top of the range as far noise reduction is concerned.
What I love about the Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer is that its features are designed to make your training experience a lovable experience. These features include 19 workout programs, an LCD back-lit console, sound system as well as grips with heart rate monitors. All these are done to very high standards.
1. Workout programs: The elliptical trainer comes with 19 workout programs. There is Manual, Calorie Goal, Time Trial, Fitness Test, 2xCustom,3xHeart Rate Control and 10 Profiles. The latter which are found as P1 – P10 are meant to give you a variety of workout options, and you can easily select the programme using the “+” or “-“ once you turn on the machine.Changing the resistance once in the program can be easily done by pressing the same “+” or “-“ buttons. Most users find the Heart rate programs invaluable to their training. These are designed to bring your Heart Rate into a target zone based on what you goal is. The Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer manual will give you clear instructions on heart rates so you don’t need to fret if you are starting out. However even seasoned users have found this guidance very useful as well.
2. LCD Console: Schwinn has demonstrated that it has learnt from its design errors from their earlier420 and 430 models when it comes to this feature. The LCD console on the Schwinn431 Elliptical Trainer comes with blue back-light, and is clearly visible, showing you key vitals while you train giving you a truly remarkable and personalized experience. The LCD gives real time feedback while you train on your heart rate, calorie burn, distance covered and so forth. Such real time feedback is why most users find the Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer a piece of engineering mastery as it equivalent to giving you the power to track what you want when you want, knowing that its all there behind a simple click of a button.3. Multimedia: Every elliptical trainer manufacturer is making a dash for integrating multimedia capabilities in their machines. The Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer comes with an integrated MP3/portable media compartment so you can listen to you favorite tune while you train. I personally didn’t like this feature as its not well developed, but most reviews on amazon commended them for this. I felt the speaker output was not that great but this can easily be rectified by simply listening direct from your iPod of turning on you TV or home theatre. Honestly this is not a huge decision point i would not fuss much over it. Besides with great discounts rite now on Amazon, its worth considering to purchase.
4. Heart Rate Monitor: Monitoring your heart rate while you train cannot be overlooked. The Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer comes with Grip Heart Rate Monitor only and this may be a great disappointment for those users who like wireless solutions. However the fact that you have two handle bars which allow you to switch position means you can still be catered for, as you will still find a comfortable posture while you train. The grip heart rate monitors on the Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer means you can easily access the 3 Heart Rate Control (H.R.C) Programs – 60% to 70% of max. heart rate, 70% to 80% of max. heart rate, and 80% to 90% of max. heart rate whatever handlebar you choose to hold onto.
5. Convenience: As we go into smaller and smaller spaces, as well as have varying moods when training, the ability to move you elliptical trainer from one location to another becomes key. The Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer is equipped with wheels to enable you to mover it around as you see fit. However its important that you are very careful when doing so, and avoid any any sharp impact directly or indirectly to the machine especially the computer as this will affect its operation. So only move the machine when its absolutely necessary.
6. Other Conveniences: What i love about the Schwinn 431 elliptical trainer is that the manufacturer has you the end use in mind. As such you will find a cup holder, a hook for you towel and a fan. The latter however has been given a bad review by users and i would add my disappointment with this as well. The fan is not very useful but i think with a hook for a towel, who needs it anyways! You can dry always go old school and yourself as you go along. I think a fan is a good to have feature that rather than an essential aspect of an elliptical trainer.
Assembling the Schwinn Fitness 431 Elliptical Trainer can take between 90mins to 120mins depending on how good you are. The elliptical trainer comes with an easy to read assembly manual and well labelled parts. They also provide the tools you need to put everything together so even if you don’t have tools at home, everything will work out just fine. Although the directions are clear and logical,they are not laid out as in the Horizon Fitness EX-59 Elliptical trainer. From the reviews i have read as well as talking to a few shop assistants, its recommended not to overtighten the bolts or screws so as to minimize squeaking . The Schwinn 431 also comes with warning labels and clearly marked points where you can affix the. Also make sure that once assembled you leave about 0.5m (19.7inches) of clearance around the machine so you can easily mount and dismount from the machine from either side.
The Schwinn 431 elliptical trainer comes well packed in one box, but the packaging is massive, as you can see in the picture here. However you will find everything in this package. The machine weighs in at 172lbs.Once assembled your new Schwinn 431 elliptical trainer will measure 59″x26″x 68″ (LxWxH). The maximum weight that the machine can hold is 300lbs. This is definitely one of the top end for home based machines on the market today.
“I’ve read a lot of good elliptical trainer reviews about the model 431 and couldn’t wait to try it out. I test rode several ellipticals in the store, but found the Schwinn 431 elliptical to be the smoothest, most quiet machine……(read more here: Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer Review)”
“When shopping for an elliptical, I was a little skeptical with the price point on this machine. There is no difference between the quality of workout with this than any gym machine…(read more here:Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer Review)”
“With knee problems I tend to go more slowly and I find the resistance levels on the Schwinn 431 comfortable…(read more here:Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer Review)”
Amazon Rating: 4.2
- Operates Smoothly
- Great LCD display
- Easy to use workout programs
- Designed with the user in mind for things like comfort, convenience etc
- Sturdy Base and easy to relocate in your apartment
- Very weak fan
- Heart rate monitor has a slight delay in sending through the reading